Sunday, December 27, 2009

Waiting for something better?

We all have dated someone and thought 'I can do better than that.' I've done it. It has been done to me either up front or passively.

I am a hopeless romantic. I thoroughly enjoy that process and all that goes along with it. So, when I date, I want that to be a part of it, the romance, the look, the chemistry and all that goes along with it. I wonder if I am looking past what I see in front of me because all of that is not there for me to see.

I thought about the reverse to be true here too. I am not the best looking guy out there. I probably over compensate for that with my charm, my wit, my intelligence and my humor. I need those qualities to get a girls attention. It is what it is. Naturally this made me wonder if the reverse is true as well. Girls like that guy with broad shoulders, risk taker and such. See previous post on that. On the surface I represent none of that. They don't see all my great qualities. Are they doing the same thing?

Love is not something you capture and keep. Love is something you grow and nuture over time. You will not "capture" that when you first meet someone. Moreover, you will not "see" those qualities you were not necessarily looking for.

It is always interesting to see dating profiles for women to say "they want a guy to make them laugh." Well most comedians are single, yet they make women laugh because of their unique nature.

I guess all of this goes to the old adage 'you don't judge a book by its cover'. This holds true not only for those of us that are marginally good looking but those that are in fact very good looking. This works on boths sides of the fence. Guys are just as bad about this as women are.

Guys see the beautiful girl, usually blonde, nice rack and are attracted to them. That's the cover. If you want to read book covers all your life, go for them and have fun. The book sleeve tells you something. Once you start reading the book however, you will see something different altogether.

So while my book cover is not the best, what is inside is a Pulitzer prize winning story. I need to ultimately remember that when I am on dates.

The only reason I write this post is that I have a lot of female friends. My book cover is not that enticing but my story is worth reading. Some of them I have found attractive but yet they don't see me that way. That is what ultimately precipitated this post and provoked me to think internally not only about their behaviour but mine as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment