Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Rejection

Baseball players are paid millions of dollars to hit a ball 30 percent of the time.

I wonder what the averages are for dating. Guys, what is your average? I walked over and asked a girl her name. She had the prettiest eyes that smiled. I loved them. We exchanged pleasantries before that when she was walking to the restroom, so she was "available for approach". I got this weird look. However to my point about rejection. We as guys have to expect to hit only 30 percent of the time. You have to expect rejection when flirting with a woman. You don't know what the pitcher is going to throw, so expect that.

I remember a story years ago about this guy. He was in college and was terrified of rejection. One day he got up the resolve to go out and ask for dates from the co-eds. His goal was to ask 10 girls out that day. Anyway, he did just that. He expected 100% rejection. However that is not what he got. He actually did much better than that. He conquered his fear of rejection.

I have that awful fear of rejection. That is why I am so nice, so I will not get rejected. It is why I am a giver and do things for people. If I do things for people they won't reject me. I constantly do that and that even do tons of charity work with my money and time, because there won't be rejection there. Charity work is the best way to avoid rejection.

On a deep level, my rejection stems from my mother's "rejection" of me after the divorce. I made a conscious effort after that to be good and thus never get rejection. See my previous post about my parents.

This is something I have worked on over the years in therapy and on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment