Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Acting Class 11/24/2009

Tonight I go into class, absent for the better part of a month from class. I went in knowing I would have rust.

We started out with blackout reading, which I love. If you don't know what that is, it's where you get a scene and the scene partner's words are literally blacked out. You literally don't know what is coming next. You go outside, learn your words as best as you can and LISTEN. It is almost as fun as cold reading. Cold reading is way more fun because it teaches the value of listening even further. You just get a script face down on your lap. You look at your scene partner, flip over the script and start the scene. Very much the value of listening, picking up your line, delivering it and listening.

I digress, but we started out doing blackout reading on camera no less. All work is filmed so we can critique it. That went OK. I didn't listen very well. We ran one scene and then were off to another blackout scene.

The second one was from a major motion picture. We took it outside and then put it up on screen. Mine was somewhat listless. However, this scene we decided to work on so we got our notes from our teacher. Took it outside to work on those.

We put it up again, took more notes and quickly put it up. After three takes, literally it came out very well. I got a nice compliment for a portion of a scene where I was totally in the moment and there. I wasn't acting. OMG that's a great feeling to experience. It is an adrenaline rush. I am finally coming down from it.

It was a great night and an excellent start to my five day weekend. It gives me hope in my acting career.

Notes
1. only use the furrow in the brow as needed
2. stay still
3. keep my head upright
4. listen and stay in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment