Monday, May 18, 2009

Friday at the AVP Tournament in Houston

I had a GREAT weekend!!

Thursday night, my professional beach volleyball players arrived at my house. The AVP was in Houston for a tournament and they needed a place to stay. I volunteered so I had GREAT, I mean GREAT guests for the weekend.

They had one stop at the Boys and Girls club of Houston after their arrival. Crocs is giving away shoes to millions of children worldwide and my guests were doing their part to help this cause!!!

After settling in I took them to Houston's restaurant. It is a chain and has great grilled artichokes. My friends ordered the grilled artichokes as appetizers. One of them actually found a "grilled" worm in her artichokes. She hurriedly sent it away with the waitress. The manager promptly came over and apologized profusely for the error. They wanted more artichokes because the odds of finding one worm is almost like winning the lottery. Another round of artichokes showed up and guess what? Another worm was found. I know, like ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Regardless, we got a free meal and dessert out of that deal. The meal itself was fantastic and the desserts even better! The girls were so positive that they looked at it as a free meal.

You have to remember, these players do not make a lot of money, contrary to popular belief, so anything free, i.e. lodging and meals is a bonus!!

Friday morning, they got up before me and yes cooked breakfast. I had this oatmeal, eggs, avacado, tomato surprise that was cooked by one of them. It was very good. One of the players eats really fast and was done in a flash. I didn't finish quite as quick, but was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted.

They had a 9 o'clock game, so they left promptly thereafter. I made it to the game by 9:05ish. I was the only one cheering them on. I thought they didn't hear me, but yet after the game, they told me they could. :) The first match was a win for my newfound friends. They entered the tourney as 17 seeds. Their next match was against the number 1 seed in the tournament.

Later, against the number 1 seed they lost 21-14, 21-18. That second game I think showed me the potential they had. To stretch a number 1 seed like that, was amazing.

They were 1-1 with a contenders bracket match later.

I wandered around the campus looking for a game. Later, their game was up on court 2 to see who gets to play on Saturday. Unfortunately, they lost. I was so bummed. All my friends there knew I was bummed. I so wanted them to win, so they could go back to my house, relax and get ready for a 10:00 match the next morning. Fresh legs, a scouting report and ready to advance in the tournament.

I ended up watching a match with Jenny Kropp in it. Jenny happens to be from Nebraska, where I was born and spent most of my adult life in. I ended up rooting for her and noticed one more fan. It was her beloved mommy cheering her daughter on. After the match they won, I was talking to her mom and found out she knows my cousins back in Nebraska. Wow what a small world.

I ended up going back to the house with my guests. I took them out for a dinner so they could have "beer". We had a great time, talking life, volleyball, my dating life and other things. I was so blessed!!!

Friday, I realized I didn't butter up enough as my face was very red.

What a great day I had, watching my new friends play a sport I love and do so freaking well!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment